Our First Try at Glass Mural Calligraphy

About a month ago, we were given the opportunity to vandalize paint the glass panels of The Alphabet Press’ studio in SS2, Petaling Jaya. The idea came in when we were trying to figure out what we can do to design the studio for an upcoming newspaper photoshoot. It’s my first time doing glass murals, and I had so much fun doing it.

Materials:
– White water-based paint
– Brushes (Regular paint brushes or waterbrush)
– Manila Paper
– Sharpie
– Water
– Glass Cleaner
– Rugs/Paper Towels

There are three glass panels on the studio so Inez and I decided to each write a quote, then “KLigraphy” on the center panel. Unlike wall panels, we can’t just use pencils for the outline. We started by doing drafts on a manila paper using Sharpies and taped them on the other side of the glass so we have a guide while doing the actual painting. While the medium we used is forgiving enough, we still wanted to finish everything with the least rework required so we opted for the safer way to do it. When you’re dealing with paint and a property you don’t own, freehand isn’t always the best way to go.

 

Before we started painting, we cleaned the panels using a Glass Cleaner just to get rid of all the dusts cos those stubborn dirt might make the painting job more challenging.

I used a regular brush which I trimmed off using scissors. I did it so it’ll be easier to make thin strokes but it wasn’t too helpful. I then went on and used a Pilot Waterbrush pen and it worked like a charm! The paint is water-based so I wasn’t too concerned about it damaging the brush pen. The only downside to using brush pen is that you have smaller coverage, but alas it did the job!

 

  

 

We had to make two to three coatings because the paint thins out when applied using a detailed brush. For my first coating, I thinned out the paint by adding water to it. I didn’t want it to be too opaque so if I made mistakes, it’ll be easier to wash it off. I gave it 15 minutes to dry before doing the second coat. For the second pass, I used the paint right out of the can because I needed it to be as opaque as possible.

I was praying for a rain-free afternoon because I was afraid that since we used a water-based paint, the rain might wash it away. And how lucky am I that the rain started to pour WHILE we were painting. Thanks for that, ladyluck. Anyway, here’s the final output:

 

Processed with VSCOcam with hb1 preset
If you happen to pass by SS2/24, you might catch a glimpse of it. :)

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *